In a convivial atmosphere, meet other art lovers who share your curiosity and appetite for modern and contemporary art, by participating in one or several committees. These allow you to support the Centre Pompidou and to become involved in the selection of artworks with one or several curators.
Created in 2013, the International Circle (IC) has as its mission to gather all our local and international patrons together in one global platform of exchanges, regardless of the geographic region that they would like to promote in our collections. Each of the six chapters is conducted in English.
The IC-Global is the first chapter of the International Circle; its mission is to support the most important projects of the museum’s acquisition strategy. The members of CI-Global enjoy:
- To learn about all the world’s art scenes simultaneously and to profit from the richness of their contents on a planetary scale.
- To be surprised by the acquisition proposals and to support the museum independently of their individual tastes.
- To help the curatorial team, thanks to their diverse outlook, to choose the most relevant artists for the collections during an international plenary meeting in Paris.
The CI-Central Europe is the only acquisition committee in France dedicated to the enrichment of modern and contemporary collections through the works of artists coming from Central Europe. Inaugurated in 2017, the members of CI-Central Europe enjoy:
- To revive the paths of acquisition laid down for the exhibition Promesses du passé in 2010, and to pursue the effort of constructing a coherent collection on the theme of the former Eastern Europe.
- To meet twice annually (in Basel and in Paris) between Friends to complete the collections of the 60s, 70s, and 80s, especially of female artists hitherto neglected, while also acquiring works by contemporary emerging artists.
- To promote, through art, the vast cultural richness and variety of an artistic scene in full renewal.
The IC-Greater China is the only acquisition committee in France dedicated to the enrichment of modern and contemporary collections through the works of artists coming from the Greater China region. Inaugurated in 2017, the members of CI-Greater China enjoy:
- To be involved in the selection process of artists along with the curatorial team, and to take part in strategic orientation.
- To participate in a better understanding and a more authentic representation of the contemporary Chinese scene for an international audience in Europe.
- To meet twice annually (in Hong Kong and in Europe) between Friends to exchange ideas and collectively construct, almost from scratch, a well-conceived and relevant collection so as best to describe contemporary China.
The IC-Latin America is the only acquisition committee in France dedicated to the enrichment of modern and contemporary collections through the works of artists coming from the Latin American Continent. Inaugurated in 2017 on the foundation laid by Centre Pompidou America Latina in 2010, the members of the chapter enjoy:
- To put their points of view, personal experiences and perspectives into dialog with those of the curators in order to acquire the works of the Latin American artists of tomorrow.
- To contribute, thanks to their personal experiences and local perspectives, to making acquisitions of artists who treat important themes that are key to understanding contemporary Latin America.
- To meet twice annually (in Madrid and in Paris) between Friends in order to exchange ideas and collectively construct a relevant collection sensitive to the important issues in Latin America.
Middle East North Africa
The IC-Middle East is the only acquisition committee in France dedicated to the enrichment of modern and contemporary collections through the works of artists coming from the region of the Middle East and Northern Africa. In five years, these Friends have already changed the face of the Centre Pompidou’s collections. The members of CI-Middle East enjoy:
- To put their points of view, experiences and personal perspectives into dialog with those of the curators in order to acquire the Middle-Eastern artists of tomorrow.
- To be agents of change in mentalities and perceptions through the representation of Middle-Eastern artists in national collections.
- To meet two times annually (in the Emirates and in Europe) between Friends in order to exchange ideas and collectively assemble a well-constructed and relevant collection sensitive to the important issues in the Middle East/North Africa.
The IC-Western Europe is the only acquisition committee in France dedicated to the enrichment of modern and contemporary collections through the works of artists coming from Western Europe. Inaugurated in 2017, the members of CI-Western Europe enjoy:
- To participate, through their support and personal knowledge, in the building of a story of European cohesion and in the renewal of the collections.
- To promote emerging artists with transnational backgrounds and to identify future talents very early.
- To meet twice annually (in Basel and in Paris) between to exchange ideas and to acquire emerging artists.
Created respectively in 2002, 2014 and 2016, the Groups of Acquisition for Contemporary Art, Photography and Design allow the development of the collections by medium, while bringing together interested parties through a sharing of knowledge by media. These groups are conducted in French.
for Contemporary Art
The GAAC is the first Acquisition Committee created in France. It has a unique way of working: the patrons submit artists whose works they wish to see joining the collections to the curatorial team. The members of the GAAC enjoy:
- To be talent scouts, to make proposals, and to advocate for their choices in front of other members.
- To work each semester in conjunction with a curator in order to put together a file towards the acquisition of an innovative piece.
- To meet all the artists considered for acquisition during study meetings throughout the year.
- To meet twice a year for a convivial lunch with the Director of the Museum, the curatorial team and the other members.
The GAP is the acquisition committee dedicated to both modern, forward-thinking and industrial design. The members of the GAD enjoy:
- To find the most audacious creators and to discover before others the innovative technologies of tomorrow.
- To find, along with the curatorial team, modern gems for the museum’s collection at public sales, in addition to the acquisitions decided upon at the two annual committee meetings.
- To discover, during an annual trip in Europe, the most established and emergent creators of a given area.
- To participate in the opening of the Design Parade in Hyères, and to meet young and newly-graduated designers.
The GAP is the Acquisition Committee dedicated to photography, in all its multiple dimensions. The members of the GAP enjoy:
- To discover historic and contemporary photography with the guidance of three specialized curators.
- To choose the next acquisitions of the photography department during the two annual committee meetings, and in particular to vote on the “Coups de Coeur” singled out by the curators at Paris Photo.
- To experience the opening of the Rencontres d’Arles with international experts and meet, on a study trip in Europe, the artists most likely to be integrated into the collections of the Museum.
- To benefit from a confidential context to discover the treasures in the Centre Pompidou’s storage facilities.